Top tips for nervous patients
One in four of us are nervous of going to the dentists, but there are ways to overcome these fears. Amit and his team welcome all patients and look forward to building a a long term trusting relationship where we can cater for your individual dental needs in the most comfortable way for you. Amit has always been sympathetic with those who are nervous of going to the dentist and is proud to say that some of this most nervous patients are now his best patients.
8 tips to ease dental fear
- Find an understanding dentist
- Once you’ve found someone you think may be suitable, visit the surgery to have a look around, meet the receptionist and dentist and see the environment. Tell the dentist that you’re anxious so they know beforehand
- Pick an appointment time early in the morning so you have less time to dwell on it
- The first appointment will simply be a check-up so don’t worry, you will not be rushed into treatment. See this first visit as your chance to get to know the dentist
- Take a friend with you to your appointment. The dentist won’t mind if they accompany you throughout the check-up or treatments
- Agree a sign with the dentist to signal that you need a break and want them to stop. It can be as simple as pointing your finger and will help you feel more in control
- If you think it will help, start gradually with a clean and polish then work up to more extensive treatment once you’ve built up trust and rapport with your dentist
- Listening to your own music during your visit can help you to relax, so bring along your iPod or similar. We offer noise cancelling headphones in our clinic so please ask
Sedation: If you are still extremely nervous, we can offer you oral (tablet) or intravenous (injection through the arm) sedation during treatment. The drugs will not send you to sleep; you will be awake and able to talk to the dentist, but they will calm and relax you so deeply you will not remeber much of what happened. Click here for Sedation page
Let us help you
Come and see us for an informal introduction to the team and a look round our clinic to see if we can help you too. If you like what you see, we can arrange a free consultation to discuss your dental requirements and how we can care for you in the best way.
Why not watch a film to help you relax and take your mind off the treatment? Our increasingly popular DVD goggles incorporate a small screen and earphones on a compact headband – and patients have even started to bring in their own films.